Ohio College Football Rankings after Week #8 by Ohio Sports Time
2. Kent State 5-2 (4-0 MAC) – The Golden Flashes’ had the week off and should have plenty of time to prepare for Frank Solich’s Ohio Bobcats. Saturday’s game features two teams which have not had much success in the MAC standings over the years as Kent’s last MAC title was in 1972 and Ohio’s last title in 1968. I will be making my first trip to Dix Stadium and I look forward to watching a good game with a lot on the line.
3. Ohio 5-3 (3-1 MAC) – The Bobcats looked solid as they beat up on Buffalo 42-7 on Saturday. This weekend’s showdown in Kent is an extremely large one as the winner will control their own destiny for a MAC East title and berth into the MAC Championship game.
4. Cincinnati 4-4 (1-2 Big East) – The Bearcats face South Florida on Sunday night and looked strong in the 2nd half to get their 1st Big East win of the season, 23-6. After leading 2-0 at the half, yes, 2-0, the UC defense scored on a fumble recovery TD and the offense came alive. The Bearcats have a home match-up with Syracuse this Saturday before ending the season with 2 of their last 3 games against ranked opponents.
5. Bowling Green 4-4 (3-2 MAC) – The closest thing to a guaranteed win in Division I-A football is coming up for the Falcons this week as they face the Temple Owls. BG fell to Central Michigan last Thursday night 31-14 and was outscored 17-0 in the second half. BG has not had consecutive losses this season and do not expect that to change this week as the Falcons should roll over the Owls.
6. Akron 3-4 (1-2 MAC) – The Zips gained their 1st MAC win of the season 24-13 over Miami on Saturday. Akron’s rushing attack was the difference in a game that was otherwise pretty even. The Zips will travel to Toledo to face the Rockets Saturday night and will need to put together a strong winning streak to have any hope at defending their MAC East title.
7. Toledo 2-6 (0-4 MAC) – With their loss to Eastern Michigan I really think they should be in 8th place on this list, but the close loss in 3OT @ Iowa State and win over Kansas still are both much more impressive than Miami’s lone victory over Buffalo. The Rockets will look for their 1st MAC win of the season as they host Akron in the Glass Bowl on Saturday night.
8. Miami 1-7 (1-3) – The RedHawks brief winning streak was ended on Saturday night as they fell 24-13 @ Akron. While QB Mike Kokal was solid yet again, the Miami rushing attack gained just 57 yards on 30 carries. The RedHawks have a more favorable match-up as they host the Ball State Cardinals this Saturday.